Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Short-Term Rentals

What is a Short-Term Rental?

A short-term rental (STR) unit is a legal privately-owned residential dwelling, which is rented for occupancy for dwelling, lodging, or sleeping purposes for any period less than 30 consecutive calendar days total, but not less than two consecutive days and one night. An STR may include any accessory dwelling unit (ADU), junior ADU, second unit, guest quarter, or ranchette unit not otherwise prohibited by state law.

What is Not a Short-Term Rental? 

A property owner wishing to obtain a short-term rental (STR) is prohibited from using their property as a hotel, bed and breakfast inn, or a motel. Additionally, STRs shall not use their property for commercial purposes and venue activities such as weddings, wedding receptions, concerts, festivals, and large parties exceeding maximum occupancy unless a correct permit has been acquired for the event. Furthermore, STR properties using recreational vehicles, yurts, tents, treehouses, and any other non-habitable structure is prohibited from obtaining a permit.

Frequently Asked Questions - STR Ordinance 927.2

    How do I apply for an STR certificate?

    Email [email protected] to verify eligibility.

    How much does an STR certificate cost?

    • Initial application fee: $740
    • Annual renewal fee: $540

    Who do I contact for assistance with my application?

    Please email [email protected].

    What is a TOT certificate and where do I get one?

    Visit this link to the County Treasurer-Tax Collector for the Transient Occupancy Tax Form.

    How do I request an STR inspection?

    Email [email protected] to request an inspection.

    Why Is my renewal certificate unavailable even though my renewal fee was paid?

    • Active or pending code enforcement cases. 
    • Code enforcement action within the past twelve months.
    • Incomplete self-certification form.

    What do I do if my permit expired?

    In the event that a STR certificate has been expired for 90-days or more, a new initial application and initial registration fee must be initiated. Email [email protected].

    Can I apply for an STR certificate for a property I intend to purchase?

    No, a property owner must provide proof of ownership.

    Can I transfer my STR certificate with the sale of the property?

    No, STR certificates are non-transferable as they do not run with the land.

    Where do I post my STR identification sign? What are the sign requirements?

    The STR sign must be in a location that is readily and clearly visible from the public view and state the information in lettering that can be easily read. The size of the sign must measure two square feet by area or one foot by two feet in size.

    Exterior STR sign requirements 1
    Exterior Sign Requirements 2

    How do I close my STR account?

    • Complete and submit a request account closure form. 
    • Be advised, once the account has closed payments are non-refundable.

    Information for STR Renters and Operators


      Occupancy is determined by the size of the property (acerage) and the district.


      • An STR shall comply with Riverside County Ordinance 847, Including quiet hours between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. Any sound that is increased by any amplified equipment or that is electronically enhanced, must comply with provisions of County of Riverside Ordinance 847.
      • An STR shall comply with Riverside County Ordinance 924, related to loud or unruly parties, gatherings, or other similar events.


      Adequate on-site parking required.

      Age restrictions

      Responsible guests must be at least 25 years old in the Wine Country District.

      Outside of Wine Country Districts, responsible guests must be at least 21 years old.


      To hold events at an STR property, you must first contact the County of Riverside Planning Department at (951) 955-3200.

      Response time required

      The responsible operator for the STR shall be responsible for correcting the violation promptly, which includes 60 minutes, contacting the responsible guest to correct the violation and visiting the site, if necessary, to ensure the violation has been corrected 

      Good Neighbor Brochure

      Good Neighbor Guide



      Good Neighbor Video

      Latest News

        Amended ordinance adopted by the Board of Supervisors

        The Board of Supervisors formally adopted new rules for the County’s Short-Term Rental ordinance that would include caps on new short-term rentals in Idyllwild and Wine Country; and add age and capacity limits; create density and distance requirements of short-term rentals; ownership limits, and a lottery system for allowing new short-term rentals in each area when there is capacity. The new rules take effect on Jan. 11, 2024.

        Applications for new short-term rentals in the areas that were under the moratorium are not yet being accepted. The County will open the Tier 1 application period on February 1, 2024. The application window will be open for 90 days. Once the 90-day period has concluded, the County will begin making determinations on the requests. Fifteen days in advance of the application window opening, the Planning Department will publish instructions on how to apply and what is required on our website and social media channels.

        Short-Term Rental Tier 1 Application Notice

        The Riverside County Short-Term Rental Tier 1 application period will be open for the areas of Idyllwild and Temecula Wine Country Districts. Applicants must be registered with the County Treasurer Tax-Collector to pay Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT). Airbnb operators paying TOT and meet the application requirements below, shall apply.

        The application period is open for 90-days beginning February 1, 2024, through May 1, 2024 at 11:59 PM. The application will become available on the Planning Department’s website at


        Properties are eligible if the Owner(s) or Responsible Operator(s) paid Transient Occupancy Taxes with the County or Airbnb only for the entire period of operations from September 13, 2021 to September 13, 2022.

        Airbnb operators will need to submit the Airbnb Annual Earnings Summary report that shows the property was rented/operated and TOT was paid, for at least 24-days between September 13, 2021 to September 13, 2022 (one weekend per month).

        1. Tier 1 Application

        2. Copy of Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) Certificate

        1. Tier 1 Application

        2. Airbnb Annual Earnings Summary report

        Submit application to [email protected] no later than 11:59 PM, May 1, 2024.


        The Riverside County Planning Department will review all Tier 1 applications to verify whether applications meet Tier 1 requirements in accordance with Ordinance 927.2. Only qualified Tier 1 applications shall have the opportunity to be selected as eligible properties. If the number of qualified Tier 1 qualified applications received exceeds the Tier 1 Cap, the County shall implement a stand-alone lottery to select eligible properties up to the Tier 1 Cap. If any of the eligible properties does not meet all the application requirements, then the County shall not issue a Short-Term Rental Certificate for that property.

        Contact Us


        For inquiries regarding Short-Term Rentals, please email [email protected].

        For inquiries regarding Short-Term Rental inspections, email [email protected].

        Riverside Office

        County Administrative Center
        4080 Lemon Street, 12th  floor
        Riverside, CA 92502-1605

        Desert Permit Assistance Center

        77588 El Duna Court, Suite H
        Palm Desert, CA 92211 
        (760) 863-7735